Home Remedies for Mumps
What is Mumps?
Mumps is known as a contagious viral infection which can easily be transmitted from a patient to another. The medium of transmission of it can be nasal secretion or even exchange of saliva as well as personal contact. It is primarily known to affect the salivary glands which are termed as parotid glands. The parotid gland is what produces saliva inside the mouth. Each face has a three set of these parotid glands located on each side of the face, below the ear and behind the ear. One of the primary symptoms of mumps is swelling of the salivary glands, or we can say the parotid gland. This swelling is quite noticeable as it enlarges the face of the person suffering from mumps.
The mumps virus is known to cause inflammation in many parts of the body other than the salivary glands, such as ovary, meninges, testis, pancreases, etc.
A person affected by mumps once in his lifetime does not get it again. Though there are vaccines which are given to the kids which makes them immune to this particular disease. This vaccine is called MMR vaccine also known as measles, mumps and rubella vaccine. The following vaccine makes the kinds immune to the following diseases. Before the MMR Vaccination was brought in, there were many cases of mumps especially in children and now has been reduced significantly.
However, there are some of the home remedies also available for this medical condition. They are time-tested and known as free from all the side effects also. One can try them at home easily and see the benefits in a short span. The best part of these options is one does not need to spend hefty amount behind the remedies as the majority of them are available at home only.
- 1 Treatment of Mumps (Home remedies)
- 1.1 Sacred Fig
- 1.2 Asparagus
- 1.3 Margosa Leaves
- 1.4 Fenugreek Seeds
- 1.5 Chebulic Myrobalan
- 1.6 Ginger
- 1.7 Black Pepper
- 1.8 Banyan Leaves
- 1.9 Hot Fermentation
- 1.10 Carrot Juice
- 1.11 Baking Soda
- 1.12 Potatoes and Pepper
- 1.13 Orange Juice
- 1.14 Garlic
- 1.15 Liquid Oatmeal
- 1.16 Rice Water
- 1.17 Mullein
- 1.18 Chamomile Tea
- 1.19 Cleavers
- 1.20 Holy Basil
Treatment of Mumps (Home remedies)
Sacred Fig is also referred to as peepal leaves and is an excellent home remedy to treat mumps. It is used by crushing the Sacred Fig, or the peepal leaves with ghee or oil. Warm the mixture until it mix-ups. The mixture is then applied on the area that is affected and is something that must be followed twice in a day until you see some results. The mixture, however, needs to be kept on the affected area for about half an hour for best results.
The asparagus seeds are an excellent remedy for mumps. One should combine an equal quantity of fenugreek seeds with asparagus. Mix them until you get a fine paste. Apply the paste on the swelled area.
These leaves are known to be highly beneficial for mumps. Margosa leaves are mixed with turmeric until they make a fine paste. Apply the paste on the swollen or infected area and let it sit for some time. Repeat the process daily for effective results.
Fenugreek seeds are known to have many health benefits. It is one of the most effective remedies for mumps. The anti-inflammatory and the antifungal properties of these seeds make it a go for this disease as mumps is a viral condition with inflammatory parts as a side effect. You should mix the fenugreek seed with water until it makes a fine paste. Apply the mixture on the affected area to see the results. One can see the results in just a few days only as gradually the pain as well as swelling reduces.
Also known as the Ink fruit, it is one of the known home remedies for mumps. This herb has many anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties which can be availed by mixing the herb with water. One needs to mix it until it makes a fine paste. It is then applied to the affected areas such as swelling which can lead to fast relief of pain. Hence it is much helpful to get quick relief from the painful condition.
Ginger is the most effective home remedy for mumps. It has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties which are beneficial for relieving the pain. As mump swelling comes with lots of pain, it is one of the most efficient remedies as it soothes the swelling and helps in reducing the pain. One must take a ginger and dry it until you can make a fine powder out of it. After it is made into powder, it is mixed with water to make a fine paste. The paste is then applied to the affected areas which are known help with the mumps big time.
It is one of the effective home remedies for mumps. Black pepper is easily available on the market in the powdered form. One must add a little water to the powder until it is made into a fine paste. The paste is then applied to the affected areas which tend to help in decreasing the pain of mumps.
Banyan leaves are also used in curing mumps at home. The leaves help in soothing the pain caused by the virus and help one get rid of infection faster. The leaves are mixed with ghee or oil. The mixture is then heated every time before the application of the mixture on the affected areas. The leaves after the application should be bandaged so that they don’t move and should be kept overnight like that for better results. In a few days, one can see an effective change in the painful condition.
Hot fermentation is applied on the affected areas for at least three times a day to reduce the pain. Cold fomentation then follows it. This leads to ease of pain in a short span.
It is one of the most effective remedies to cure mumps. A mixture of pineapple and carrot juice is mixed together and consumed every day twice. The regimen followed for a week can help in relieving and subsiding the virus of mumps.
Baking soda is known for its alkaline nature, and because of its property, it helps in restraining the virus that causes mumps. Hence with the help of simple paste of soda one can easily get rid of this medical condition.
How to use:
- Take a pinch of baking soda and combine it with water.
- Mix it well, until it makes a fine paste.
- Apply it on the affected area such as cheeks and leave it there for two minutes
- Wash it off with warm water and repeat it three times a day for effective results.
Potatoes and Pepper
Potatoes are high in carbohydrates and proteins and pepper is known for its anti-inflammatory properties which are known to soothe the inflammation. The simple application of the fine paste can help one get quick relief.
How to use:
- Boil a potato or two until it softens.
- Peel the potato off and mash them with a fork until it forms a mixture.
- After mashing it, mix some pepper powder to it.
- It is ready to eat.
The mixture is known for its antioxidant properties and is known to improve the immune system of a person, and the anti-inflammatory properties of pepper help in reducing the pain which is caused by mumps.
Orange juice has many properties which are beneficial for the health.
How to use:
- Extract orange juice from the orange and add an equal proportion of water to it.
- Consume it daily until you see its healing effect.
Garlic is known for healing and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s not only beneficial for the mumps but kills other bacteria as well which can cause infection and helps in strengthening the immune system of the body.
How to use:
- Take some garlic and start peeling it off.
- After they are all peeled, crush them into small pieces until you get a different paste of it.
- Apply this paste directly over the affected area until you instantly feel your pain releasing.
- Alternative method: One can make soup out of garlic and onion and sprinkle some pepper on top of it. The amalgam of all of the above is substantially used in fighting the inflammation caused by the virus.
A person who is infected with mumps finds it difficult to chew the regular food. Hence it is advised to takes fluids and other food that are not hard to eat. For that matter, oats are the best alternative for that as it contains high fiber content which is helpful for the body as well as slows down the digestive process so that you can stay longer without food.
As, we said even before that a patient who goes through mumps, finds it difficult to eat the regular food. So, it is best for them to take fluids which do not hut their sore throat.
How to use:
- Boil a cup of rice in two cups of water.
- After boiling, filter the solution and drink the rice water.
- You can also add a pinch of salt or butter to the water for it to taste better.
The rice water is full in starch and provides the nutrition that is necessary to the patient facing mumps.
Mullein is a herb which is known for its healing process as it is known to speed up the healing process of mumps. Also, it has some cooling properties which help in soothing the inflammation or swelling caused by the virus.
How to use:
- Boil a cup of water and add some dried mullein seeds to it.
- Let the mixture boil for about 10 minutes.
- After boiling for 10 minutes, take a clean cloth and dip it into the mullein tea.
- Take the cloth off the tea and spread it on the area which is affected by virus say the swollen area.
- Put it in the area for few minutes and repeat the process until you can feel some relief.
- Alternate method: You can also include two cups of mullein tea in your daily diet to fight the mumps
Chamomile tea is known for its antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties. There are two ways to use this tea.
How to use:
- Boil some water and add a spoon of dried chamomile tea to it.
- Keep it boiling for few minutes until it is brewed quickly.
- After the tea is brewed finely dip a clean cloth in the tea and spread it on the affected area for best results.
- Repeat the process until you feel some relief in the pain.
- Alternate method: You can also include two cups of Chamomile tea in your daily diet to see the improvement.
Cleavers is known to be rich in components such as tannins and flavonoids. These components are known for its anti-inflammatory properties. This herb is known to cure many other ailments including mumps as well. The solution of this herb is also used to fight many bacteria and has antibacterial properties.
How to use:
- Soak this herb in water for an entire night.
- Filter the mixture every morning and drink the solution three times every day to see a difference.
- Repeating it daily in your diet can help in relieving the pain is known to be quite effective.
This herb is explicitly used to cure a sore throat which is caused by mumps.
How to use:
- Boil some water and put some basil leaves in it.
- Keep it boiling for 10 – 15 minutes until it mixes well.
- Filter the solution and drink the mixture every day.
- Drinking this solution daily can help in relieving the sore throat which is a cause of the mumps