Mastalgia which is the medical name of breast pain which women encounter especially during the period of the menstrual cycle. A review was done by the California Pacific Medical Centre it has been stated by some medical specialists that this breast pain affects around 50% to 70% women. Some of the common symptoms of mastalgia include heaviness of the breasts, stabbing pain in the breasts, soreness in the breasts, swelling and tenderness in both the breasts. Sometimes, it affects the armpit area as well. The hormones that are responsible for breast soreness might also form cyclical swelling or lumpiness in the breasts. They can also change the breast size, its shape or sensitivity of cysts and fibroadenomas. This breast pain keeps changing from mild to severe, but it usually keeps irritating a woman during her period days.
What are the Causes of Breast Soreness?
The reason behind it can be many. Like,
- An improper diet which excludes the right number of vitamins and proteins that are needed for a woman’s body can lead to breast soreness.
- It is an early symptom of pregnancy. At the time of gestation, when a woman reaches to the point of feeding milk to her child, she feels the soreness. However, not everyone undergoes the same problem. But it happens to many.
- Sometimes, breast pain also occurs before or during the menstrual period. During this time, the level of estrogen increases, resulting in the swelling of milk ducts and glands and thus trapping the fluids in the breasts.
- The woman who are taking the Hormone Replacement Therapy often suffers from the same problem as at that time, the tissues present in their breasts responds to hormones.
Other factors can be responsible for soreness or the breast. Sometimes, it depends on their day-to-day activities as well. Like,
- Consuming a large amount of caffeine.
- Wearing unsupportive or unfit bras.
- Due to weight gain. It causes heaviness of the breasts, resulting in breast
- Intake of certain medicines such as contraceptive pills or other medicines that reduce cholesterol in the body.
- Any grave injury to the breasts.
- Physical activities like heavy lifting that puts a strain on the chest, or pectoral muscles.
- Breast cysts (fibroadenomas)
Useful Home Remedies to Cure Breast Soreness:
Let’s check out some effective home remedies and some useful tips for sore breasts that might help to reduce breast soreness and its discomfort. However, it might take some time to work.
Use Ice Packs:
Use ice packs on your breasts. It will help in numbing the tender area and will reduce the pain and swelling. Repeat it several times a day until you feel better. You must keep in mind not to apply the ice directly to your breasts.
Self-massage and Compression:
To make the breasts healthy, the blood circulations in it needs to be improved. Self-messaging will help in improving the blood circulation as well as help in reducing inflammation. You can also use hot packs or other hot and cold compressions. This will help in reducing the pain and tenderness.
Evening Primrose Oil is one of the best remedies to treat sore. It contains gamolenic acid (GLA), a kind of fatty acid that works as the active ingredient. The oil helps the body to respond well to different hormonal change and eases the breast pain and tenderness. But one should not take it if she has epilepsy.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Intake of Apple cider vinegar twice a day is helpful in dealing with sore breasts. It removes the toxins from the body, regulates hormones, reduces water retention and these, in turn, helps to reduce breast pains and tenderness.
Massage with Castor Oil:
Massage castor oil all over your breasts daily for a week before the menstrual cycle. The ricinoleic acid present in the Castor oil has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that help relieve breast pains.
Hormonal breast soreness is very normal among the ladies. You should wear push up bras to avoid this soreness of breasts. Still, if the pain lasts for more than a week during the time of a menstrual cycle, or if the pain stops a woman from her everyday activities, then this isn’t considered to be normal. In that case, one should consult a doctor as early as possible.
Are you suffering from breast pain? Hope this post was helpful enough for ladies who are suffering from breast soreness. Do give us your feedback regarding our post in our comment below section.